Friday, February 14, 2014

One Day Trip to Teluk Intan - The Diamond Bay

Teluk Intan, finally here again. The last time I was here, it was like 12 years ago if I am not mistaken. Hmm yes during primary school graduation trip. I did not really have chance to tour Teluk Intan yet that time, because the school trip was to Pulau Pangkor, just passing by Teluk Intan the day we were all heading back to Kuala Lumpur.

But our school bus just drove circling the Leaning Tower of Teluk Intan and left the town!! Consider I actually have not step on the land of Teluk Intan yet.

Teluk Intan is a small town located in the state of Perak in Malaysia, with an estimated population of 120,000. It is being called as Teluk Anson (Anson Bay) too by some people, the reason why is to honour a British Officer and last Lieutenant-Governor of Penang, Major-General Sir Archibald Edward Harbord Anson who drew the plan of the modern township in 1882 during the British protectorate era, according to Wikipedia haha.

Although the name means "Diamond Bay", the town is not located near a bay. It is founded around the oxbow meander of the Perak River, making the town looks like near a bay. The locals believes that in the future, the river’s flow will erode the narrow neck of the land between the loops of the meander and turning the town into an island. Island? Woah, hilarious.

The bird's-eye view of Teluk Intan


Teluk Intan in the 70's and 80's

Just before reaching Teluk Intan, we stopped at Bidor, another small town east of Changkat Jong and Teluk Intan for the famous Duck Leg Noodles.

Mentioning about Bidor, it made me recalled the time when I first left home at the age of 18 to attend UTP Educamp with my father. When the interview was done, he drove me back from Tronoh to Kuala Lumpur bypassing Bidor. We stopped in Bidor for dinner at a restaurant and bought some famous local made 'Sat Ke Ma' (Chinese:萨奇马) and also 'Kai Zai Peng' (Chinese:鸡仔饼) back home. Ended up we nearly made our way to Cameron Highland that night!! That was because my father turned into a wrong junction I guess. And along the wrong way, my father realized that he might get into wrong way but I was the one insisting we were on the correct way though we keep on seeing road sign board saying :"This way to Cameron Highland." And the reason why I was insisting we were on the correct way back to Kuala Lumpur was because I thought there was only one way from there to Kuala Lumpur and the way was always dark. Hahaha, ridiculous to say on my naiveness.

So we were back in the restaurant my father brought me before, but no Duck Egg Noodles sold :/

Disappointed but we managed to salvage something in Bidor, hahaha. Fruitsss!!

This is a place full of fruits like guava, rose apple, pamelo and many others.


After passing all the outskirts, we finally arrived in Teluk Intan. It took us around 2 hours.

The first thing I thought of was food, never a problem to my partner for she is a local. For the past few days I have been craving for dim sum, so I suggested dim sum for brunch. I remembered it was near lunch hour, and the partner said it was kind of weird having dim sum in the afternoon, not morning. Actually for people in Kuala Lumpur, having dim sum as lunch is not something new. Now eating dim sum can be anytime, some cultural changes to the urban and suburban community, to have sleep until 11.00 am or later and wake up for some dim sums.

After everything, the first place she brought me to is a Hokkien temple.

The outside view of the temple
Buddha

Temple is always the place I like to visit, for me to worship Buddha, and pray for my family and myself a very healthy, prosperous and safe Horse year ahead :)

And then we arrived at Leaning Tower of Teluk Intan!! First time I was here!!

Inside view of the ground floor
The bio-data of Major-General Sir Archibald Edward Harbord Anson
Going up to the 2nd floor
Outside view from Leaning Tower
 
It was really a red-hot day at Teluk Intan. I can hardly open my eyes.
Read about the history of Leaning Tower
It looked like it is 8-storey high, actually it is only 3! Impressive

After this, what did we have? Mural paintings!! Crouching Wall, Hidden Arts :D

All the below can be found on the wall of shops behind 汉城

Bruce Lee
Horse Year

The others can be found on walls in front of Hotel Angooka.

King Kong
Audi Accident
Berserk Elephant
Memorial
Leaning Tower
Cute Kittens
Orang Utan
Park at Your Own Risk
Minions Helping Out

Who painted this? Graffiti artist Ernest Zacharevic? These wall arts certainly cheered me up. I never thought I could find these things at a town like Teluk Intan to be honest.

Whoever who painted this, great job.

Before leaving Teluk Intan, bought this local-made honey sesame biscuit, Seremban Siew Bao and Egg Tarts for my family. Slurpss~ Too bad miss the chance to eat Teluk Intan's one more famous Chee Cheong Fan. I will be back for it next time :)

Honey Sesame Biscuit
Seremban Siew Bao
Egg Tart
One is Never Enough

No comments:

Post a Comment